Our view - Altra King MT 2 - Men:
The King MT 2 has seen some big changes this season with the biggest of those being to the outsole which has seen a significant increase in traction with the introduction of the Vibram MegaFrip Litebase. The well designed 6mm lugs that provided excellent grip on a wide range of surfaces, but there is a 40%+ reduction in thickness and a 25%+ reduction in weight compared to the former MegaGrip outsole, quite a significant reduction and one that should also see mud shed better.
Upper wise the King MT 2 has a hand tailored mesh with dynamically cut eye stays for increased flexibility and comfort thanks to the improved drainage should water get inside.
What you still get is the brilliant footshaped toebox that allows your feet to spread and function optimally and a zero drop that maximises efficiency and promotes a positive running form. The Altra King MT is set to remain a popular choice for those looking for a responsive, fast and light off-road shoe that really shines in the wet and mud.
Specifications - Altra King MT 2 - Men:
- Insole: 6 mm Contour Footbed
- Midsole: Altra EGO™
- Outsole: Vibram® MegaGrip® Litebase with 6 mm lugs
- Stack Height: 19 mm
- Upper: Tear resistant quick-dry upper
- Weight: 8.5 oz. / 246 g
- FOOTSHAPE™ TOE BOX - Allows your toes to relax and spread out naturally for more comfort and stability in uphill climbs and downhill descents.
- BALANCED CUSHIONING™ PLATFORM - Places your heel and forefoot the same distance from the ground to encourage proper, low-impact form throughout your trail run.
- GAITERTRAP™ - Hook-and-loop tab allows strapless gaiter attachment that prevents debris from building up beneath the shoe.
- TRAILCLAW™ - Canted lugs positioned strategically beneath the metatarsals to provide traction at toe off.
- VIBRAM® MEGAGRIP™ - A high performance sticky rubber compound featuring unparalleled grip on wet and dry surfaces, rugged longevity and optimal ground adaptability.