Our View - Hoka Tor Ultra High WP Men
The brand new Hoka Tor Ultra High WP is set to be revelation in the fast and light hiking world. Taking the maximal cushioning concept on which Hoka have built an exceptional reputation, the Tor Ultra High WP is aimed at those looking for absolute comfort combined with optimal protection on the hills and mountains.
The centre piece of the Hoka Tor Ultra High WP is Hoka’s Ultrasize cushioned sole unit which provides 32mm stack height in the heel and 28mm in the forefoot, 2.5 times the usual cushioning found in hiking boots. The benefits of the Ultrasize cushioning are increased shock absorption and reduced stress on the joints of the body from the ankle, through the knees and hips and to the back. Such added cushioning is a huge benefit when you may be spending the entire day on your feet on rough, uneven terrain.
Walking efficiency is enhanced thanks to Hoka’s Late Stage Meta-Rocker profile with its slightly curved heel and toe, which combined with the K Shape Geometry and a low (4mm) heel-to-toe drop rolls the foot from heel to toe-off. This natural motion produces a feeling of continuous forward motion without the oft felt breaking and flat feel of stiff boots.
As with many hiking boots, Hoka have integrated an Active Foot Frame which allows the foot to actually sit within the midsole as opposed to on top. With this design, the stability of the foot is significantly enhanced which is especially important when traversing rough terrain and cambered slopes.
To complete the sole unit the Hoka Tor Ultra High WP is finished with the excellent grip of a 5mm deep Vibram outsole which provides unparalleled levels of grip and durability in all conditions from hard packed dry trails to wet slippery rock. The full ground contact layout of the grip ensures that wherever your foot strikes the ground you will be assured of a secure grip which is essential for confidence in the mountains.
Where the Hoka Tor Ultra High WP deviates from Hoka’s traditional running shoes is in the upper design and construction. Made from highly durable full-grain leather with an E-vent waterproof membrane and a moulded flexible collar the primary aim of the Tor Ultra High is to provide comfortable support and protection. Strategically positioned flex groves ensure that potential areas of pressure are avoided where the foot flexes and soft collar significantly enhances comfort around the ankle. The full bootie E-vent lining ensures your feet will keep dry whatever the weather and yet breathability is also maintained to reduce the risk of your feet over heating.
The Hoka Tor Ultra High WP is aimed at anyone wanting to travel fast and light in the hills and mountains for long hours and multiple days. The whole design of the Tor Ultra High WP is focused on comfort, stability and protection and it achieves this exceptionally.
Specifications - Hoka Tor Ultra High WP Men
- Rockering – Late stage Meta-Rocker
- Geometry – K shape for dynamic guidance throughout the gait cycle
- Weight – 485g (US 9)
- Full-grain leather for durability and protection
- Moulded upper collar for flexibility and comfort around the ankle and to keep debris out of the boot
- E-vent waterproof membrane with full bootie construction for complete waterproof protection
- Forefoot flex grooves for comfort and control at high flex points
- Rubber toe cap for protection against stones and rocks on the trails
- 3D construction R-MAT and CMEVA for durable cushioning
- 28mm forefoot stack height
- 32mm heel stack height
- 4mm heel-toe drop
- 5mm Vibram MegaGrip for predictable grip on any terrain
- Full ground contact design for maximal grip
- Flex grooves for improved stability
- Lacing – traditional laces extended for an adaptable fit
- Insole – 5mm forefoot, 7mm heel ortholite