Our View – Lightwave G15 Raid:
The Lightwave G15 Raid is a compact 2-person semi-geodesic tent which forms part of Lightwaves lightest range. Made from the lightest materials that Lightwave feel are still durable enough to withstand 4-season weather and allow a respectable longevity for the tent (5-10 years depending on usage).
Weighing just 1.7kg the G15 Raid is certainly easy to carry but it is also offers excellent protection. It is quite capable of being used all year round although you may find a thicker sleeping bag is useful in the depths of winter due to the mesh areas on the inner.
This is a perfect tent for taking on long trekking adventures if you’re an individual looking for a little extra space or a pair aiming for minimal weight.
Specifications - Lightwave G15 Raid:
- Length – 210cm
- Width – 120 cm
- Height – 100cm
- Porch – 95cm
- 2 Persons
- Weight – 1.7kg
- Packed size – 45 x 15 cm
- Flysheet - 45 g/m2, 20d nylon 6.6 ripstop, silicone-coated both sides, 3000 mm hydrostatic head - The raid flysheet is made from high-tenacity 20-denier nylon, which has comparable tear resistance to our 30 and 40 denier fabrics, but ultimately will not last as long in prolonged exposure to UV. Like all Lightwave tent flysheets it is silicone-coated on both sides (for water-resistance). Silicone coatings maintain the inherent strength of the fabric, whereas the conventional polyurethane (PU) coatings typically used on most tents reduce the tear strength by up to 70%.
- Groundsheet - 70 g/m2, 50d nylon taffeta, 3-pass PU-coated, 5000 mm hydrostatic head, factory-taped seams - The raid groundsheet is made from a lightweight 50-denier taffeta (plain weave) nylon. The 50-denier fabric is a reasonable balance between the need to save weight and provide adequate protection from abrasion and moisture. With most of our tents, we don’t generally advocate the use of a footprint, but on the raid tents, we recommend this where it is appropriate to do so – in other words, when you know ground conditions are going to be harsh, or weight being carried (a footprint is an additional 200 g) is not quite so critical.
- Inner canopy - 25g/m2, 15d nylon 6.6 ripstop, DWR treated
- Poles - DAC 8.84 mm Featherlite (aluminium alloy) - We use the DAC Featherlite poles on the raid tents simply because these have proved themselves time and again as the most reliable of the lighter weight alloys (ie non 7001-T6 alloy which is employed in probably 90% of all backpacking tents in the world.)
- Pegs - Lightning pegs, 11 g each, square section; Flash pegs, 7 g each, rectangular section - Pegs are very important – without them, no tent could withstand anything more than the slightest breeze. Raid tents use our Lightning peg – similar in weight to most standard pegs, but substantially stronger and capable of living with some serious abuse. Costing four times as much as normal wire pegs, these are seldom seen on all but the most highly specified and expensive tents. Supplementing these for non-critical peg-points are our Flash pegs (which are literally “half a Lightning peg”).
- Guylines - 2.00 mm nylon, 3 m length, Linelok adjusters - Raid guylines are made of standard 2.0 mm nylon. They work, and with our Linelok adjusters they work and adjust very well.