Our View – Lightwave Hyper T20 XT:
The Lightwave Hyper T20 XT is specifically designed for those who are looking for a lightweight, low pack size tent that is robust and capable of standing up to a wide range of conditions. The Hyper T20 XT is a two person tent that is perfect for long distance trekking and cycling when you want to keep the weight down but maintain protection.
The Hyper T20 XT is made from fabrics specifically chosen to maximise strength to weight ratio, you will struggle to find a stronger fabric for the weight. For the ultimate weight conscious individual the guylines are made from Dyneema/polyester cord that is 80% lighter than standard nylon and the choice of pegs for different conditions range from only 7g to 11g with the whole packed tent weighing just 2.52kg.
The hyper tents are fully multi-pitch meaning you can pitch it inner first, outer first, independently or integrally depending on needs and conditions. The poles are fully self-maintainable with the spares provided for each set something that is crucial should one fail in the middle of nowhere!
Specifications - Lightwave Hyper T20 XT:
- Length – 225cm
- Width – 130 cm
- Height – 108cm
- Porch – 175cm
- 2 Persons
- Weight – 2.52kg
- Packed size – 45 x 20 cm
- Flysheet - 51 g/m2, 30d nylon 6.6 ripstop, silicone-coated on both sides, 5000 mm hydrostatic head - The hyper flysheet is made from nylon 6.6 with a yarn thickness of 30 denier. There has been a trend in recent times towards the use of 20 denier or even 15 denier yarns in many lightweight and ultra-lightweight tents. Lightwave believes such fabrics lack the intrinsic strength that a flysheet needs if it is to withstand high winds and provide long-term durability. 30-denier yarn offers this strength while still remaining extremely light. The strength of the hyper flysheet is further assured by using only high-tenacity nylon 6.6, which has a higher tensile strength than normal nylon. Finally, the fabric is silicone-coated on both sides for water resistance to a hydrostatic head of 5000 mm. As well as being the most durable and water-repellent coating of them all, silicone has another major advantage over conventional polyurethane (PU): it doesn’t affect the fabric strength. PU coatings reduce the tear strength by up to 70%, in our view making them less suitable as a flysheet coating – especially on very lightweight fabrics which have a relatively low tear strength to start with.
- Groundsheet - 70 g/m2, 40d nylon ripstop, TPU laminated; 7000 mm hydrostatic head, factory-taped seams - The hyper groundsheet is made from a 40-denier nylon ripstop with a laminated thermo-plastic polyurethane (TPU) coating. TPU coatings have greater bonding durability (to the substrate fabric) and better abrasion resistance than conventional liquid-applied PU coatings. This is a much tougher fabric than it looks.
- Inner canopy - 30g/m2, 20d nylon 6.6 ripstop, DWR treated
- Poles - DAC 9.35 mm Featherlite poles - Hyper tents use 9.35 mm DAC Featherlight poles. These are light, strong and reliable. (The earlier version of the hyper tents with the taped flysheets used Yunan 9.60 mm 7001-T6 Ultralight poles with Unit connectors).
- Pegs - Lightning pegs, 11 g each, square section (t20 xt - 6 pegs); Wavelight pegs, 12 g each, corkscrew design (all models - 4 pegs); Titanium V-pegs, 10 g each, V-shape (all models - 4 pegs); Flash pegs, 7 g each, narrow section (all models - 4 pegs) - Pegs are a vital component of every tent. Tunnel tents are of course completely dependent upon solid anchors at front and rear, but a self-supporting geodesic, too, needs to be prevented from blowing away in the breeze. Lightwave offers a range of different pegs with the hyper tents to ensure they can be secured in all ground conditions.
- Guylines - 1.50 mm dyneema/polyester, 3 m length, mini-Linelok adjusters - Hyper tents come with our Lightning guylines, a 1.50 mm blend of Dyneema and polyester with a breaking strain of 110 kg. Phenomenally light, they also absorb no water so won’t freeze up in winter. The Linelok adjusters mean they are easy to tension, even with gloves on.