Our View – Lightwave T20 Trail:
The Lightwave Trail tents are a new introduction to the Lightwave range providing a combination of the design qualities of the top-end Hyper range with the great value fabric and pole specifications from the Trek range. Together this makes an outstanding, lightweight and durable two person tent at an affordable price.
The materials used to make the T20 Trail are geared to towards strength and durability and yet manage to maintain a remarkably low weight with the whole package coming in at just 2.53kg. The poles especially are highly resistant to handling stress making the T20 Trail a great choice for tough conditions. Two types of pegs mean you can pitch the tent where you want with the greatest of confidence.
The trail tents offer the same multi-pitch options as the hyper range which means you can put the inner up first, the outer up first, use them alone or together. The choice is yours!
Specifications - Lightwave T20 Trail
- Length – 225cm
- Width – 130 cm
- Height – 108cm
- Porch – 110cm
- 2 Persons
- Weight – 2.53kg
- Packed size – 45 x 18 cm
- Flysheet - 60 g/m2, 40d nylon ripstop, silicone-coated both sides, 5000 mm hydrostatic head - The trail flysheet is made from nylon with a yarn thickness of 40 denier. Lightwave has been using this fabric in its robust trek range for the past ten years: there is no better balance between strength (high), weight (low) and price (medium). Like all Lightwave tent flysheets it is silicone-coated on both sides (for water-resistance). Silicone coatings maintain the inherent strength of the fabric, whereas the conventional polyurethane (PU) coatings typically used on most tents reduce the tear strength by up to 70%.
- Groundsheet - 150 g/m2, 210d nylon oxford, 3-pass PU-coated; 5000 mm hydrostatic head, factory-taped seams - The trail groundsheet is made from a truly heavyweight 200-denier nylon, which is twice the denier (yarn thickness) of most groundsheet fabrics and makes it exceptionally tough. Equally important, however, is the quality of the application of the polyurethane coating for durable water-resistance (DWR).
- Inner canopy - 43 g/m2, 40d nylon ripstop, DWR treated
- Poles - Yunan 9.00mm 7001-T6 aluminium alloy - Trail tents use the workhorse 7001-T6 aluminium alloy that is the standard pole-set material for the vast majority of lightweight tents. The reason is simple – 7001-T6 aluminium alloy is very resilient, extremely well-proven and carries a very small weight penalty over marginally lighter, stiffer alloys.
- Pegs - Lightning pegs, 11 g each, square section; Wavelight pegs, 12 g each, corkscrew design - Pegs are very important – without them, no tent could withstand anything more than the slightest breeze. Lightwave supplies two different pegs with the trail tents to ensure they can be secured in all ground conditions, a critical factor for tunnel tents as they are completely dependent upon solid anchors at front and rear.
- Guylines - 3.00 mm nylon, 3 m length, Linelok adjusters - Trail guylines are made of standard 3.00 mm nylon cord with a reflective fleck woven into it. Their Linelok adjusters mean they are easy to tension, even with gloves on.