Our View - OMM Phantom 20
The OMM Phantom 20 has a huge capacity to carry everything you need for overnight ultra marathon events. It is super lightweight thanks to the materials it uses and the design is such that it can be adapted based on your needs thanks to the removable hip pockets and additional carrying capacity via the bungee cords. The Phantom Harness System has been deisgned to maximise comfort and allow the pack to work in harmony with your body as you run. The slight 'suspension' in the shoulders 'gives' as you run and enables the pack to stay straight as the body naturally twists.
Specifications - OMM Phantom 20
Materials and Fabrics
- LeanWeight Dyneema Chassis
- 6 point Yoke Harness system
- Reflective detailing
- Hydration bladder compatible
- H2OMM compatible
- Double ended YKK AquaGuard® Zips
- Small zipped pocket + key clip
- Angled stretch bottle pockets
- Laminated pocket
- Re-mountable zipped belt pockets
- Full Weight: 200g. LEANWEIGHT: 190g
- Capacity:12 litres
- Back Padding: 6mm EVA pad
- Pockets: 2 side stretch mesh, one zipped front
- Compression: Bungee compression included, customisable using loops on pack plus addition of Leanweight Compression Kit
- Back Length: 55cm
PHANTOM HARNESS SYSTEM
- Dyneema – Ultra strong, lightweight, waterproof rip stop fabric. Weight: 65gsm
- 30D Nylon – Lightweight, waterproof rip stop fabric. Weight: 50gsm
When running humans balance the action of running by raising the opposite arm to the leg that’s being raised. This creates a decrease in the distance between shoulder and opposite hip as the body rotates. However the length down the middle of the runners spine does not change. Phantom is designed to maintain the same length in the middle but increased in length over the shoulders when required. The PHANTOM SUSPENSION®. It utilises a narrow yoke style connection behind the neck of the competitor combining fully adjustable elasticated cord at the shoulders.
To counter the vertical effect of running on the movement of the Pack the bottom of the shoulder strap has a four-point attachment system. When the runner pushes off, the weight pulls on the lower strap but, as the runner drops back down, the upper strap tightens preventing the shoulder loosening and ultimately stopping the vertical movement of the PHANTOM PACK. In addition to this body surface area has been minimised which, in turn, has lead to a reduction in heat retention and discomfort while significantly boosting running performance.
OMM’s third element for stabilisation of the PHANTOM PACK is the removable waist strap with pockets. The PHANTOM PACK provides the competitor a choice of removable systems to give the best performance for differing loads. In the unused waist pockets can be attached to the shoulder harness to provide extra storage space.