Our View – On Running Cloudventure Midtop Men:
The On Running Cloudventure Midtop has been designed to optimise protection from trail debris and maximise foot support and comfort. The main feature above the standard Cloudventure shoe is the extended one piece sock liner that rises to the ankle preventing debris from getting inside the shoe and causing irritation. It also offers a little extra stability around the ankle bone on rough technical terrain. We have found the slipper like fit to be extremely comfortable and does an excellent job at keeping out dirt and stones. Over the inner layer is a second, lightweight and breathable mesh overlay which is DWR treated to help prevent water being held by the shoe. Together this 2-layer system provides an exceptionally comfortable shoe that holds your foot in just the right way. The lacing system complements this perfectly providing a firm but non-pressure point hold and is set slightly horizontal to follow the natural movement of the foot.
As with all On Running shoes the method of cushioning id via the unique ‘clouds’ or lugs on the shoes sole unit. These strategically positioned lugs act like shock absorbers on impact and subsequently actively propel you into your next step. There are 11 clouds on the Midtop which are constructed uniquely to be as effective at absorbing horizontal forces as they are vertical forces thus making them especially adapted for running downhill. In use the shoes really absorb impact and put a spring into your stride!
Grip wise the Cloudventure Midtop is excellent on a wide range of terrain from steep rocky paths to wet grass with its limits only being found in the deepest, stickiest mud. The outsole is constructed for four different elements to create the Grip-Rubber profile. There is an all over ‘Base Grip’ made from sticky rubber with a triangular pattern maximising grip wherever your foot strikes. Then there is the crystal shaped lugs and arrow shaped elements which combine to provide instant grip on foot strike and a secure transition to push-off. There are also ‘shark-teeth’ grips on the edge of the sole which help to keep grip when cornering or contouring.
The Cloudventure Midtop is all about maximising protection without interfering with feel and the foots natural movement and this has been considered when selecting the materials and positioning of the rubber rand and toecap. The extended rubber around the base of the upper and extending over the toes helps to prevent impact injuries whilst being flexible enough to bend with your feet. The midsole, known as the ‘Speedboard’ provides On Runnings maximum level of protection whilst allowing your foot to roll through its natural range.
The Cloudventure Midtop is the perfect choice for anyone looking for an excellent multi-terrain shoe that offers protection and additional support around the ankle bones. The 6mm drop is a great differential for the majority of runners feeling responsive yet protective.
Specifications – On Running Cloudventure Midtop Men:
- Micro-engineered Grip-Rubber profile. 1) Oover the entire sole unit there is a ‘Base Grip’ with an extruded triangular pattern made from sticky rubber. 2) Impact & Arrow shaped lugs on the heel and mid foot ensure maximum grip on impact and push-off. 3) Crystal shaped elements on the toe and heel for grip and stability. 4) Extra grip whilst cornering from the shark-teeth lugs on the side of the sole.
- Extended 2-layer upper for support and comfort.
- CloudTec cushioning providing excellent impact protection and shock absorption on descents. 11 ‘cloud’ lugs.
- Lacing is slightly diagonal for a secure, no pressure point fastening that works with your foots natural motion.
- Lightweight rubber toecap
- Reflective strips for enhanced visibility
- Extended rubber heel cage and side protection
- Antimicrobaial sock with no-sew construction
- Speedboard with additional protection for the trails
- 6mm Heel to toe Drop
- Weight 305g / 10.1 oz (US 8.5)