Our View – On Running Cloudventure Midtop Men 2018:
When On Running introduced the Cloudventure Midtop its overall specification and design was loved by everyone who tried it, but there was a slight niggle…getting it on could be somewhat of a challenge! The one-piece sock liner was a brilliant addition to the shoe providing excellent fit, comfort and protection from trail debris but it was just a little bit too snug around the opening to easily get the shoe on and off. On Running have taken this feedback and redesigned the liner still retaining the excellent debris protection, higher than usual protection around the ankle and one-piece style but incorporated an overlap so the shoe can be much more easily put on and off.
Aside from the redesign of the liner the rest of the shoe has pretty much remained the same and that is a good thing. The two layer upper system works exceptionally well to provide comfort and protection with the lighter, breathable outer also being DWR treated to provide a degree of water repellence. A slightly horizontal positioning of the lacing ensures that the foot moves more naturally and there is no pressure points on the top of the foot.
The Cloudventure Midtop provides the maximum protection of any of the On Running shoes and this is emphasised by the reinforced rubber rand and toecap. These extended rubber areas help to protect against impact injuries from rocks, roots and stones. Throughout the midsole there is a ‘Speedboard’ that provides On Runnings maximum level of protection whilst allowing your foot to roll through its natural range.
Cushioning is provided by the unique On Running ‘clouds’ or lugs on the outsole and on the trail running shoes these lugs absorb horizontal forces as well as vertical forces to maximises downhill protection. Each lug is strategically positioned for maximum impact absorption and propulsion without compromising grip.
Moving on to traction, the Cloudventure range have all proved highly effective on pretty much any terrain and we have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of grip they provide. You will find yourself confidently taking on pretty much anything. Constructed from four different rubber elements there is an all over ‘Base Grip’ made from sticky rubber with a triangular pattern maximising grip wherever your foot strikes. The crystal and arrow shaped lugs combine to provide instant grip on foot strike and a secure transition to push-off and finally there are ‘shark-teeth’ grips on the edges to help keep grip when cornering or contouring.
The original Cloudventure Midtop has been a huge hit with ourselves and customers and the new sock liner for the 2018 model just about makes it perfect!
Specifications – On Running Cloudventure Midtop Men 2018:
- NEW – Extra extended split sock liner for easy on/off.
- Micro-engineered Grip-Rubber profile. 1) Over the entire sole unit there is a ‘Base Grip’ with an extruded triangular pattern made from sticky rubber. 2) Impact & Arrow shaped lugs on the heel and mid foot ensure maximum grip on impact and push-off. 3) Crystal shaped elements on the toe and heel for grip and stability. 4) Extra grip whilst cornering from the shark-teeth lugs on the side of the sole.
- Extended 2-layer upper for support and comfort.
- CloudTec cushioning providing excellent impact protection and shock absorption on descents. 11 ‘cloud’ lugs.
- Lacing is slightly diagonal for a secure, no pressure point fastening that works with your foots natural motion.
- Lightweight rubber toecap
- Reflective strips for enhanced visibility
- Extended rubber heel cage and side protection
- Antimicrobaial sock with no-sew construction
- Speedboard with additional protection for the trails
- 6mm Heel to toe Drop
- Weight 305g / 10.1 oz (US 8.5)