Our View – On Running Cloudventure Women:
On Running is a brand that is based in the Swiss Alps and their attention to detail and specific design to meet the demands of their surroundings make their shoes perfect for challenging trail terrain. Their distinctive feature is the ‘clouds’ which act as shock absorbers on impact and actively propel you off the ground. Despite their unusual appearance the ‘clouds’ certainly work! Each step is comfortable and you can feel a definite spring in your stride. The Cloudventure features 11 individual clouds on the CloudTec sole that are specifically positioned and designed to absorb downhill impacts effectively.
The Cloudventure model is one of On Running’s trail specific models and the shoes midsole, named the ‘Speedboard’ is designed to offer maximum protection against the rough, varied terrain without removing your feel for the ground. The Speedboard allows your foot to function as nature intended and thus allows your foot to follow its most efficient rolling motion from landing to push-off.
The second area which has been especially designed for trail terrain is the outsole. The Cloudventure’s ‘Grip-Rubber profile utilises four different types of grip to ensure your foot stays firmly planted on any terrain and angle. The entire sole is covered with a ‘Base Grip’ of sticky rubber in a triangular grip pattern for non-slip on any surface. At the heel and midfoot there are arrow-shaped lugs to ensure an effective bite on impact which work in conjunction with the crystal shaped elements at the heel and forefoot to create an effective transfer of force into take-off. There are also ‘shark-teeth’ grips at the edge of the sole unit to keep you upright on steep, off-camber terrain. Without doubt we have found that the Cloudventure has sufficient grip for some serious off-roading! It is highly capable of wet, rocky terrain and in all conditions except the deepest, stickiest mud.
The upper of the Cloudventure is a 2-layer design with the inner layer offering a snug, sportive hold of your foot to help you feel secure when moving fast across technical terrain. This security is further enhanced by the precisely designed lacing system which is orientated slightly on a diagonal to naturally follow the foots movement. The lacing is progressive in nature across the top of the foot to avoid any pressure points and it works exceptionally well, the Cloudventure is truly luxurious to wear. The outer layer is a lightweight, highly breathable fabric which is also DWR treated to help repel water.
The On Running Cloudventure has been designed from the ground up as a trail running shoe and this is really evident when you actually in run them. They feel at one with the terrain allowing you to keep your mind on pushing hard or enjoying the surroundings rather than worrying about your grip. This is significantly helped by the 6mm heel to toe drop that is in our opinion an excellent level for the majority of runners looking for a responsive but not too aggressive shoe. Even the finer details such as the lightweight but tough rubber toecap has been well thought out and engineered offering excellent protection without excess weight or being inflexible.
Specifications – On Running Cloudventure Women:
- Micro-engineered Grip-Rubber profile. Four distinct levels of outsole grip; 1) Base Grip over the entire sole unit with an extruded triangular pattern made from sticky rubber. 2) Impact & Push-off Grip from arrow shaped lugs on the heel and mid foot ensure maximum grip on impact. 3) Directional Grip from crystal shaped elements on the toe and heel for grip and stability. 4) Side Grip from shark-teeth grips on the side of the sole for grip even when cornering.
- Light, comfortable 2-layer upper for supportive, breathable hold.
- Intelligent CloudTec cushioning from the 11 individual cloud pods provides exceptional cushioning on descents absorbing horizontal forces as well as vertical and propelling you into the next step.
- Progressive lacing on a slight diagonal for a secure, no pressure point fastening that works with your foots natural motion.
- Seamlessly integrated lightweight rubber toecap
- Reflective strips for all-round visibility
- Extended rubber side and heel cage for extra protection
- Comfort liner for additional comfort
- Lightweight no-sew construction
- Antimicrobaial sock liner
- Speedboard with additional protection for the trails
- 6mm Heel to toe Drop
- Weight 240g / 8.5 oz (US 7)